Amazon Author Page and the Goodreads Author Account are free online services that allow authors to sell their books more to a worldwide audience by giving them legitimacy.
Setting up your Amazon Author Page
Setting up your Amazon Author Page is easy.
- You need to have an Amazon account whether as a consumer or a self publisher. Just visit http://authorcentral.amazon.com and fill in the form displayed to have an author page for you. This page shows various options and tabs.
- On the books tab, ‘claim’ all your published material on Amazon. Once they are confirmed, the titles will show up in the bibliography section of the author’s page.
- On the profile tab, add your photo and a brief biography that will be displayed on all of your works.
- ‘About the Author’ contains a link to the Amazon Author Page.
- Sales info tab helps you to view, scan book sales and analyse the data and graphs.
- Customer reviews show all Amazon reviews in a single location.
- There is a link that allows you to link with your blog.
The six secret benefits of using the Amazon Author Page
The Amazon Author Page is a free marketing tool to a self published Author in India.
- Author has control over what his readers can see on his page.
- It improves Amazon search through keyword searches.
- The author can track the demographics and the quantities of his sale.
- The author can add more books to his bibliography.
- The author can connect with his readers and take feedback.
- The writer can create an international market for his books by integrating his social media accounts with the Amazon Author Page.
Registering your books on Goodreads
Goodreads is the world’s largest community of readers for authors especially self published ones, as it gives them a wide platform.
Setting up Goodreads Author Profile:
- First see whether your book is in the database or not. If it is not, then click on ‘My Books’ followed by ‘Import/Export’ and then on ‘Manually Add Book’. You can also manually use this link, https://www.goodreads.com/book/new.
- Once you are on the profile page, click on the link of your name that will lead to Author Profile Page. It will ask, “Is this you? Let us know?” Click on it and send a request.
Customise your profile by adding :
- Author bio
- Rate at least twenty books to unlock more features.
- Add friends.
- Ask reviews for feedback.
Claiming your Goodreads Author Account
An author cannot fully utilise this site’s capacity unless he is officially recognized as a Goodreads author.
- Find yourself after registering at Goodreads. Click on one of the books that belongs to you in the search box. A page that lists your books will be displayed. Click on your author’s name.
- Your author profile page will open up and ask for verification. Click on it and submit your request.
- Goodreads will verify your credentials and send you a welcome mail.
The fantastic four benefits of using Goodreads
- It helps a self published author in India to build his platform in a community that has 50 million members.
- The author can sync his blogs and host giveaways to expand awareness about his work.
- It gives the writer a chance to get noticed by offering him an opportunity to review other books.
- The writer can connect with other like-minded writers via reading groups.
The magic of customer reviews on Amazon and Goodreads
- The self publishing industry in India has taken wings with readers connecting directly with authors on Amazon and Goodreads.
- Readers learn about self published books via customer reviews.
- Customer reviews offer an overview of the book. Positive reviews generate a good response.
- Having a mixed review is better than having none at all. Along with the cover, a book’s aggregate reviews create the first impression.